Monday, September 29, 2014

7 Years and Waiting

The current series at our church, Heartland Community Church, is covering the topic of waiting.  The first sermon from this series was basically mind blowing. If anyone got a look at me during the service they probably would have seen my jaw on the floor. I relate to services on a weekly basis, but this particular one felt like it was written for Tom and me.  The part that stuck out the most for us was when our pastor, Dan Deeble, talked about feeling leap-frogged by everyone else. Why would God let all of these good things happen to what seems like everyone else and leave us in the dust...waiting.

Married sever years today! God is good.
I had this master plan late in high school and early in college. I would be married by 23, have my first kid by 25 and be making a six-figure salary by 30.  Well, I am married that's about all I can check off that list.

Tom and I find ourselves constantly comparing ourselves to our friends who have houses, kids, nice cars, and are both financially and professionally in a good place.

We live in an apartment, with a 10-year-old car and an 18-year-old one, debt, and we are both unemployed... Living the dream, lol.

Why aren't things clicking for us, when is it our turn, why do we keep hitting speed bump after speed bump in life while others seem to be floating through?

The answer is, because it isn't time yet. God doesn't just want us to have a house, he wants us to have the perfect house. He hasn't given me a job yet, because the perfect job hasn't come along. Tom got cancer so that we could bond and grow closer as a couple and with our families and friends. Also, so that others could be inspired by his story. I know it helped me grow my relationship with God. We hadn't had kids yet, because can you imagine how awful Tom's cancer and transplant experience could have been with kids? When we make our own plans and try to control life it only results in disappointment and feeling as if things are going the right way.

Our focus needs to be having God with us on our adventures, asking for what we are waiting for through prayer and enjoying our life in the present. 

Tom and I are very blessed, bad junk aside. We have an amazing and supporting family, a roof over our heads, food on the table, friends to talk to when things feel overwhelming and the fact that tomorrow is a new day.

The other stuff, will come in God's time.

Want to watch the service that dropped my jaw? Go here: The Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment