Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Letting The Weird Out

Most of my good friends I have had since middle school or early high school. I have acquired a few others over the years through work or through mutual friends. So when we moved to Kansas City the realization that I would have to make new friends all on my own was daunting. I'm social and friendly and make acquaintances easily, but it is crossing that line between acquaintance to true friend that is tricky.

When you first meet a person, in any situation, there is a certain decorum or politeness. I believe it is called manners. When you first meet someone new you don't let all of your weird hang out right after the introductory hand shake. There is the small talk period, the polite coffee date and maybe a group gathering. But when do you let your true colors shine?

I'm weird... ask my husband, ask my best friends, ask my sister. I burp when I drink Diet Pepsi, like a man. I curse, not like a sailor, but more than I should. I dance, literally dance, to music that no one else can hear, jazz hands included. I love show tunes. I hum, all the time, and it drives my husband nuts. I'm inappropriate and I often have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old. There is more, but I can't even share that with you because it is just too weird and we aren't that close...yet.

So what do we do? Sometimes I wait for the other person to make their first weird move, then I let out a sigh of relief, and then let out a little of my own. Once, I just let the weird out all on my own and it seemed to work, but they ended up being just as weird as me. Pretty sure that was an anomaly.

I'm always worried I will offend someone or that they won't take me seriously. I can be more professional than your mom if I need to be, but I also like to be goofy and have fun.

Let me know what you do. How do you let your weird out? When do you let your weird out? Have a funny story about letting your weird out? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, is finding true friends tricky! I've been here in KC for 2 years now and have yet to make a friend other than the ladies at work. I'm a complete social disaster! At times I feel that I am ALWAYS weird and can't seem to withold it! I am HORRIBLE at the get to know you stage. I stare and I don't realize it, usually with some kind of odd look on my face. I get disctracted by everything. My husband has pointed out that I never make eye contact with people. I think I'm just so concerned with avoiding awkwardness, that I create it! SO, I say, if I can hang out with people who also consider themselves weird, then there is a level of comfort and we should be great friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Keri, why haven't we hung out yet. Seriously, we can weird together :)

      Delete